We are pleased to partner with Away on Voyage, a boutique travel firm. Both our German teacher, Frau Susan Gleason, and our Japanese teacher, Charlotte Royal Sensei, are very excited about this! They have hired these two Excelsior Classes teachers to lead educational mission trips — one to Germany and another trip to Japan — this coming summer (2018). While Excelsior Classes is not an official sponsor, we feel very confident in recommending this offering to you!
REGISTRATION DEADLINE — JANUARY 31, 2018
Trip #1: Germany with Frau Susan Gleason
This trip will be the best trip Susan Gleason has ever coordinated and led. The team has worked very hard over the past several months to give you a life-changing experience! We will be in the cities of Munich and Hurlach, Germany.
- 4-star hotel, newly renovated, in the heart of Munich
- savor the cuisine at the internationally-renown Munich Hofbräuhaus as we enjoy their Lederhosen-clad oompah band
- shop at a multitude of stores and boutiques in Munich
- visit the beautiful 13th century Church of the Holy Spirit and the Gothic Church of St. Peter in Munich
- enjoy a private tour of Munich’s famous Augustiner Brewery and lunch in their Biergarten
- tour the famous Gothic town hall in Munich, the Frauenkirche and main square Marienplatz
- climb the 299 steps of the Alter Peter tower with a 360° view of Munich (and the Bavarian Alps on a clear day!)
- tour the Deutsches Museum, a 4-tiered behemoth of science and technology which houses many authentic WWII aircraft
- experience the German train, tram and subway systems
- see German war memorials and learn the history of the three German empires
- stay in 400-yr old Castle Hurlach, formerly owned by the Fugger Family, who were historically prominent European bankers
- tour the castle, its grounds, and learn its history. Don’t get lost in the dungeon!
- our service work at the castle can include yard work, housekeeping, babysitting (missionary kids), laundry, ironing, painting, moving furniture, landscaping, washing windows, cooking, sweeping, dish washing, playground maintenance….and more!
- tour the town of Hurlach and visit its friendly grocery store (our students like to go there every day for German yummies!)
- the worship room at the castle also has a variety of musical instruments
- make lasting friendships with international missionary students at Youth With A Mission
- enjoy grilling out at the castle and relaxing on their spacious grounds after our service work
- play basketball, soccer, ride bikes, climb trees, hike, jog
- hike in the German countryside with private tour and storytelling of the legendary Galgenbaum (hanging tree)
- dine at Hurlach’s celebrated Beim Metzgerwirt Biergarten, known for the best Wiener Schnitzel in the region!
- take a private tour of Dachau Concentration Camp and visit their bookstore
- if you’re a German student, you’ll have ample opportunities to use your language skills and learn more!
- hike in the Bavarian Alps up to the “Cinderella Castle,” Castle Neuschwanstein, the most famous castle in the world, and take a private tour! Also tour Castle Hohenschwangau and the Museum of the Bavarian Kings
- led by near-native German speakers, Frau Gleason, and her daughter, Claire, who call Germany their 2nd Home!
Away on Voyage will also have a template available for participants to send to family, friends, fellow church members, etc., to ask for prayers and financial support for this educational mission trip.
Trip #2: Japan with Charlotte Royal Sensei
Details coming soon!